International Child Abduction Solicitors

Removing a child to another country without the consent of the other parent counts as abduction, and is a highly serious issue. To resolve the case, you may need the help of a specialist child abduction solicitor.

Our family lawyers are experts in all types of children matters, with a recognised specialist in international child abduction.

Generally speaking, removing a child to another country without the consent of the other parent will count as abduction. Child abduction is an extremely serious issue, and parents can even find themselves facing criminal proceedings in certain circumstances.

Whether your child has been taken to a different country without your consent, or you have moved to a different country with your child and have been accused of international child abduction, it is vital that you act as quickly as possible to take expert legal advice.

Our family lawyers are experts in all types of children matters, and our consultant solicitor, Dorota Beange, has many years of experience in providing the strongest representation for clients involved in international child abduction cases.

Contact Us Today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Complexities of International Child Abduction

There are various complex treaties and laws that will apply in different abduction situations, depending on which country your child normally lives (i.e. is ‘habitually resident’), and the country to where they have been moved or abducted.

The changes brought about by Brexit may also affect this area of law, where the other country involved is an EU member state (excluding Denmark), and some legal options currently in place may cease to apply following the end of the transition period.

Legal Advice on Child Abduction

It is crucial to seek legal advice if you are concerned that your child may be abducted or you consider yourself removing your child from the jurisdiction of England and Wales whether on permanent or temporary basis (with or without the other parent’s consent).

The key international treaty in respect of child abduction law is known as the ‘Hague Convention 1980’. Member countries include Australia and the United States of America. Not all countries are members, however, and if your child has been abducted to a ‘non-Hague Convention’ country, then the legal procedures involved in securing  their return are likely to be more complicated.

It is vital that expert legal advice from a child abduction solicitor is sought at the earliest possible stage.

Meet The Team

Talk to one of our team
members on 0161 969 3131