Spousal maintenance (ongoing payments from one former spouse to the other) can be a sensitive subject. Our helpful family lawyers can provide expert assistance in making or defending any financial application during divorce proceedings.
The Family Court has the power to make orders for spousal maintenance, which is completely separate to child maintenance.
There are three types of spousal maintenance:
- Joint lives maintenance, which continues until either of the parties dies, the receiving party’s remarriage, or further order of the court.
- Term maintenance, which continues for a set number of years, but with the possibility of extension.
- Term maintenance with a bar, which is the same as term maintenance, except that the receiving party cannot apply for the period to be extended.
Spousal maintenance involves the payment of a regular monthly sum by reference to the receiving party’s needs. Either party can apply to the court to vary the maintenance if there is a change in circumstances. Given the complicated nature of financial claims on divorce, it is vital that you consult an experienced family lawyer, especially where there is an international element (which can prove crucial to your case).
Call Our Family Law Team Today for Advice
Our expert family solicitors can advise you on any matters relating to spousal maintenance. Please contact our Sale or Manchester city centre locations on 0161 969 3131 or email a member of the team.
Meet the team who will work on your case
Our specialist solicitors are experts in spousal maintenance.
members on 0161 969 3131
- Mark Heptinstall Partner & Head of Family
- Kim Aucott Consultant Solicitor
- Phillip Rhodes Partner
- Patricia Robinson Partner
- Claire Higham Solicitor
- Eluned Roberts Solicitor
- Rebecca Lang Associate Solicitor
- Rebecca Muirhead Associate Solicitor
- David Wilkinson Solicitor
- Joanne Taylor Chartered Legal Executive
- Lisa Woodworth Paralegal
- Charlotte Beck Partner
- Jodi Tuson Solicitor