During court proceedings involving children, a judge may appoint a CAFCASS officer to prepare a report to advise on and assist the court in determining a variety of issues.

An officer from CAFCASS can advise on which parent the children should live with, or how much time they should spend with the other parent, for example.

The purpose of CAFCASS is to ensure that there is an impartial view in respect of the children’s best interests that is available to the judge.

CAFCASS is completely unrelated to local authority social services departments.

The organisation can only become involved in a case as a result of a judge’s request.

On referral, CAFCASS will carry out standard safeguarding checks to ascertain whether there have been any welfare issues reported to the police or the local authority in respect of your children.

In most cases the CAFCASS officer will work with a separate solicitor (i.e. one who is not acting for either you or your partner).

Further information on what CAFCASS does following referral by a judge is available on the CAFCASS website.

Our friendly family lawyers are experts in matters concerning child-related disputes that involve CAFCASS. Please contact our team 0161 969 3131 or fill in this form and we’ll be in touch.

Contact Us Today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Meet the team

Our specialists in child-related disputes are looking forward to helping you.

Talk to one of our team
members on 0161 969 3131