Although some separating couples can agree child maintenance payments after divorce or separation, we understand that it is not always so straightforward. All new claims for child maintenance payments are administrated by the Child Maintenance Service (CMS). You can work out an estimate of how much you or your former partner is liable to pay using the gov.uk child maintenance calculator. It is up to the ‘non-resident’ parent to pay child maintenance, and the current rates are as follows.
Child Maintenance RatesNon-resident parents earning up to £800.00 per week will pay:
- With one child: 12% of gross income
- With two children: 16% of gross income
- With three or more children 19% of gross income
- With one child: 9% of gross income
- With two children: 12% of gross income
- With three or more children 15% of gross income