Family and Divorce Law Jargon Buster: Part 18 – Occupation Order

December 12, 2014, By Slater Heelis

This is the next instalment in our bite size blog series in which we hope to demystify some of the legal terms which are frequently used by family solicitors when giving legal advice and in the family courts environment.

Occupation Order: An Occupation Order can be applied for through the courts under the Family Law Act 1996. If granted, an Occupation Order can entitle one spouse to remain in the family home whilst the other is prohibited or restricted from living there or entering the surrounding area. These orders are usually temporary and are sometimes appropriate in cases where there is domestic violence. The court will weigh up the potential harm that could be caused by there not being an Occupational Order in place when deciding whether to grant it.

If you need more help or guidance about a family law matter, please contact one of the members of our Family team at Slater Heelis LLP for more information on 0161 969 3131 or